Dream Holidays in Kefalonia
Kefalonia, the largest of the Ionian Islands in Greece, offers a spectacular natural setting for relaxing, unforgettable holidays as it features sites of astounding natural beauty and diversified sceneries for all types of visitors. Kefalonia is blessed with a temperate climate and a landscape weaved by whitish sandy beaches, such as Myrtos beach, mountain gorges, lush vegetation, gorgeous harbour villages, Venetian style architecture, superb cuisine, vibrant life and, most importantly, friendly people.
Kefalonia also boasts some of the most famous caves of Greece due to the past earthquake activity that have formed special geological phenomena, such as the underground magical lake of Melissani and the cave of Drogarati with its exquisite natural formations and supreme acoustics.
The large number of tourists that visit Kefalonia every year along with its amazing natural beauty have made the island a holiday hotspot as well as one of the most popular destinations around the Ionian Islands. The visitors increased since “The Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” book became a movie in 2001, as it was filmed exclusively on this stunningly beautiful island.
Though situated in the non-commercial north of Kefalonia Island, Assos seems to be the starting point for explorations in every corner of this magical island. Due to the excellent road infrastructure, the island is suitable for exploration by car. It is recommended that you rent a car so that you can organize independent mini tours for nearby cultural sightseeing with your friends or family and make the most of your stay in Assos and Kefalonia. Braunis Horio Villas, located in Assos, offers the perfect starting point for exploring this stunningly beautiful island as it is conveniently situated near some of the most interesting sightseeing spots of the island. Assos’ castle, right at the guests’ feet, the most wondrous golden beaches, including the renowned Myrtos beach, the picturesque Fiscardo fishing village and so many more are only a few kilometres from Assos and will embrace visitors with their natural beauty and island-ish atmosphere.
- Myrtos beach, described as the best beach of the Mediterranean and included in the list of most beautiful beaches in the world.
- Assos Castle, a dramatic Venetian fortress.
- Beaches of Erissos area
- Alaties, the small bay on the west coast
- Agia Ierousalim beach
- Fiskardo, a beautiful town near Assos
- Dafnoudi beach
- Komitata village
- Gorgota beach, famous from the Hollywood film of “Captain Corellis mandolin”
- Agia Efimia, an old fishing village
- Drakopoulata, protected as a traditional village
- Melissani Lake, a vast magical underground lake.
- Drogarati Caves: Dramatic caves estimated to be 150 million years old.
- Antisamos beach
- Agrilia monastery, with a fantastic view to Ithaka island, to Sami port up to Fiscardo and Lefkada island
- St George’s Venetian castle which was the capital of south Kefalonia from the middle ages and up to 1757.
- The Nunnery of Aghios Andreas
- Omala valley
- The Monastery of Saint Gersimos, the island’s patron saint, built in 1579
- The Robola vineyard & Gentilini Winery
- Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia
- Lassi area
- Makrys and Platys Gialos beaches at Lassi
- Svoronata village
- Domata village, known for its churches, with gilded carved wooden screens and beautiful pictures of 19th century
- At Lakithra village, where you can admire a stone in memory of Lord Byron carved with his saying: “If I am a poet, I owe it on Greek air”.
- Kalligata village
- Kourkoumelata village
- Avithos and Ai Helis beaches
- Skala beach
- Mounta beach, a natural habitat for “caretta-caretta” turtles
- Lixouri town
- Kipouria Monastery, built in 1759
- Beautiful Kaminarata and Damoulianata villages
- Platia Ammos beach, after 300 steps down to the beach, you can enjoy the wild natural beauty of the island and one of the best sunsets from Kipouria monastery
- Petani bay, which is like a small “Myrtos bay”, with white pebbles and emerald waters.
- Xi red sand beach, at the south part of Lixouri town.
- Mount Aenos, the focal point of the island protected as a National Park, a renowned place for being the home of wild horses.
- Kefalonia Botanica
- The Focas - Cosmetatos Collection
- Historical and Cultural Museum of Argostoli
- The Byzantine Museum
- The Corgialenios History Cultural Museum in Argostoli